RE: Tooling Resins vs. SLA

From: Deak, Steve (SDeak@hasbro.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 1997 - 02:43:03 EET

If there is another method of producing an injection mold tool faster,
by all means, skip the SL/RP tools. For many parts, finishing the
positive geometry (the part) is far easier than finishing the negative
geometry (the tool). And the bonus is you have cast a tool which can be
reproduced fairly easy if broken.

The downside of cast tools is there is additional steps required. I
like direct SL tools as we are looking for fast answers to engineering
issues. We take the tool from the SLA, polish lightly, and injection
mold with less labor and time than the cast method.

Life is full of trade-offs. A method for one is not necessarily the
best in all cases.
Steve Deak e-mail: sdeak@hasbro.com
Manager-Rapid Prototyping voice: (+1) 513-579-3270
Hasbro Toy Group fax: (+1) 513-579-3250
615 Elsinore Place
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202 USA "Our Business is Fun!"