RE: sealing of LOM masters

From: \ (rp@rapidprototyping.net)
Date: Sat Jun 28 2003 - 00:01:21 EEST

I have frequently used LOM up to a few years ago to produce Aluminum
Castings, a couple of dozen total but mostly very large pieces like
Hatch covers for ships and other dumb and clunky parts.

It is my opinion that if this Master is smaller than a bread basket or
even a bit larger don't use LOM.

These patterns have to be considered a one use master pattern to produce
a Matchplate or other tooling and NOT for more that one off plaster
molding.

In any case, a soft shell shellac, rubber or completely sealed water and
vapor tight these will in a very short time expand and crack and once
that happens it's all over.

Hard and brittle epoxies break from the inherent moister in the paper,
it expands and breaks the covering. No matter how well you seal these,
hard or soft use it fast.

I have gone back to traditional hand made patterns for parts over 3 feet
long, we used SLA two months ago to build 3 feet long street lamps and a
month before that 5 feet long Machine covers. SLA is getting to be a
pretty cost effective choice, even for the big stuff.

Ron Barranco
www.zcastings.com
www.stereolithography.com