RE: sealing of LOM masters

From: Makai Smith (smith@vsba.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 22:22:50 EEST

shooting from the hip..
I'd say either shellac or epoxy.

I've never used epoxy for this, but you could mix it thin. There are some
two-part paints and coatings (like the stuff used to finish floors in harsh
environments).

Shellac works for sealing paper because it has an alcohol carrier. (Worked
great for painting drywall from 1920!) It forms a vapor-tight seal. The
downside is that water attacks it, but you'd be done with it before that
matters provided you built up several coats first. Find a shellac based
primer with high solids like made by Zinzer. And mix the plaster HOT.

Makai

I'm planning on using LOM masters as patterns for plaster molds. Obviously
this will subject the pattern to very high humidity. Can anyone offer
suggestions on sealing the LOM patterns so they will not be effected by the
moisture?

Kevin Lafferty