RE: Antw: Magics Communicator : Product Announcement

From: Eifert, Dan (dan.eifert@lmco.com)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 19:55:55 EET

Hello List!

I have been conversing "off line" with Materialise about my issues trying to
get Communicator working on my machine, mostly with Brian Nehez. Since
Pieter Bourqaux posted this to the entire list I wanted everyone to know the
"rest of the story". Brian wrote to me earlier today:

Hi Dan,
I just got a message back from the programmers. It seems that you need
approximately 3MB of memory for each 1 MB of STL file size. Were you
trying to open particularly large files while you had other programs
also running?

Also, apparently we are now just relying on Windows to give the messages
that you are running out of memory, so when it crashed on you did it
give some standard windows message?

Lastly, we do not have the system requirements on the website, the web
designers are looking into changing that as soon as possible. Thanks
for the suggestion!

Let me know if you have further questions or problems, hope this info
helps.

Talk to you later,

Brian Nehez
Materialise
6111 Jackson Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
734.662.5057
734.662.7891 Fax
http://www.materialise.com

Materialise has been working diligently to resolve my problem of not being
able to load more than 6 STL files without the program crashing.

To answer Brian's Questions:
1) My latest attempt was after closing all programs and disconnecting from
the LAN. This gave me 96% of my resources available according to the Help
screen under "My Computer". Still I was unable to load the 7th file or the
single larger STL file (first 6 files add up to 1.55 MB and the lone file is
2.01 MB).

2) Here is a screen capture of the error message. I'm afraid it's not too
informative.
 <<comm_02.JPG>>
3) For those not privy to our prior conversations, my system configuration
is (nothing special!) :(

166 MHz Pentium
32 MB RAM
Running Windows 95

We have powerful workstations running off the LAN which uses Unix and we
cannot add programs to these even for evaluation. So we're left using our
slower PCs for the day to day stuff. Upgrades to NT machines with 1 GB of
RAM are on the way but slow in coming.

Pieter's points are well made but I don't think a 2.01 MB STL file is out of
the question and windows 95 simply may not have an efficient enough memory
manager to allocate the necessary resources.

As I said before, this looks like a slick program and when we figure out and
correct the source of my annoying crashes I want to tie in with a supplier
of mine across the country for a "real world" test. If this PC just doesn't
have the power I guess I'll wait for the NT station.

Has anyone else had this type of trouble? If you haven't tried the software
I highly recommend it. I haven't figured out all the tricks of attaching
the annotations so they spin with the image but a little more "playing" with
the program and I'm sure I will. Kudos to the programmer who came up with
the "Viewing Cube" (my terminology, I'm not sure what they call it). It's a
fast and sure way to view the image from any one of 14 angles. Pro-E could
take a clue from this!

-
Dan Eifert
Electronic Packaging
Lockheed Martin, Missiles and Fire Control - Orlando