RE: General Info Need

From: Spielman, Roger L (Roger.Spielman@West.Boeing.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 19:43:22 EEST

John wrote...
> How effective is the use of Reverse Engineering in a design process?

        Consider the possibility of receiving a new hip, knee, vertebrae,
etc. that has been reverse engineered using MRI data...
        Your new parts would be ready for you before you even check in to
the hospital.

> Does anyone have any statistics as to how much time and money can be saved
> by submitting SL, SLS etc Models to toolmakers for evaluation early in
> tool design, manufacture process.

        We have noticed a savings of up 20% on most of the jobs we send out.
I have heard the models eliminate the fudge factor used for drawing
interpretation. There was some very interesting data on this list a year (or
so) ago regarding a test of this same phenomenon accomplished by Ford Motor
Co.

        Roger Spielman
        Rocketdyne Power & Propulsion
        The Boeing Co.