RP&M: Universities or service bureaus

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 22:30:06 EEST

To all.....

One of the RP dinosaurs was talking about "regrets" during the Rosemont
meeting and he summed up the problem between users, universities, service
bureaus, and vendors..

To quote..." I regret as early users we forgot to envision our future needs
and detail this back to all the vendors and universities." While the 'wish
list' attempted to have some input it was limited to one vendor which may
or may not listened or implemented the need or wish.

If RP&M has just scratched the surface of possibilities then there is MUCH
work to be done. Unfortunately there is not enough money to support that
much work...hence the "war" for funds. Fewer still are those companies
willing to assist in funding research into RP&M at the university level.

If we could identify ONE problem that would push the technology 5 years
ahead, would you contribute 1k, 5k or 50k to see it happen?

Still looking for that 5k RP machine... I did find a $1295 CNC
system...called MaxNC. May get one for my garage.....yahoo!

Elaine
Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
http://rafiki.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html