RE: Packing algorithm for RP

From: Miller, Michael W (Mike.Miller3@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Fri Apr 03 1998 - 19:01:13 EEST

Congratulations Dr. Ikonen,

I only took a quick look at your part packer paper but the idea has
obvious benefits to the rp community. I think the time spent orienting
parts for a build goes up by the square of the number of parts. This is
not much of a problem on the SLA's since parts are really layed out in a
2-D pattern but on the DTM's and similar machines one could spend hours
filling a build. One concern I have though is individual part
orientation. This is quite critical to part quality, especially in the
DTM's. Keep us all posted!
Michael W Miller (Mike.Miller3@PSS.Boeing.com)
The Boeing Company MS 17-PE B-XT62
Propulsion Experimental Hardware 206-655-3289
Rapid Prototyping 655-4366 Lab 655-4365