Smoothing Process

From: Terry Wohlers (73417.1465@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Jan 12 1996 - 14:38:18 EET

Mike New wrote:

> This would be worthwhile, I suppose. Has anyone explored this idea?
> Actually it seems promising.

As a consultant, I've had the opportunity to work on a software development
over the past couple of years. The software, called Sculpt, permits you to
smooth a bumpy surface of an STL file through an averaging of neighboring
polygons. You can smooth the entire model or you can select specific regions.
 Moreover, you can repeatedly smooth an area until it is flat. The software
also permits you to add resolution to selected areas by quadrupling the number
of polygons, and it can decimate selected areas. Decimation is a fancy name
for removing unnecessary polygons based on chordal deviation.

The software, under the name of CySculpt, was recently made available for sell
by Cyberware (Monterey, California). I don't have any commercial interest in
the product or its future, so I don't gain anything from product sales, but I
did help guide its development. Dr. David Alciatore of Colorado State
University was the primary developer of the product. The software was designed
to import and reshape polygonal (stl, obj, and dxf) data from 3D digitizing
systems. At the present time, it doesn't offer any geometry creation
capabilities. If you want a more complete description of it, let me know. I'd
be happy to post it.

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates