Re: Small-scale accurate scanner

From: G. Sachs <>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 20:24:22 +0000 (UTC)

Scanning really complex parts still doesn't work well when there are occlusions (pretty common). The only way to accurately scan a 3D (non-living) part is by industrial CT scanner, or to destroy the part by sectioning it. Actually, if you only have to do it once or twice a year, might be a lot cheaper to contract it out (then deduct it from your taxes) - at least for now. Not sure how much a CT scan costs. Probably not much for small parts (since it doesn't take long). These can go down to almost any resolution you want (since radiation exposure doesn't matter).
- George