RE: Scan data for 3D printing

From: Marshall Burns <>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 12:37:28 -0700

Thank you Makai, and thank you also to the four other people who replied
privately. Here's a summary:

                * Three people recommended MeshLab: Free, imports PLY,
exports STL,

                * One person offered, if MeshLab didn't work for him, "send
me the files, and I can stitch it together for him."

                * "Netfab free version allows import of .ply, which you can
save back to stl for 3D printers."

                * "Z Brush is an excellent value... I think it is under $1k
and upgrades are free for life"

                * "Autodesk Fusion 360. They will need to convert it to an
OBJ or STL file. You can convert a PLY to OBJ online"

It's interesting how useful the RP-ML still is!

It's also interesting that everyone else had no idea this was happening
because most replies were private. Last May when I sent out the question
about my collection (, I got ten replies, all of them
private, so everyone else might have thought I got nothing. Fact is, those
replies were all helpful and got me moving towards finding interested
museums and a broker! So thank you RP-ML. I'll let you know when the
collection's new home is determined.