Re: Convert STL File to IGES file

From: Crispin Weinberg <>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 08:40:34 -0500

Hi Doug,

Yes, Rhino is fine for simple shapes. For complex organic shapes like
bones and blood vessels, we use reverse engineering software to make a
STEP file and than can convert to IGES with any CAD software
(SolidWorks, SpaceClaim, etc.).

As Tracy & Greg pointed out, it depends on your purpose. There will be
some smoothing and loss of detail. Typically this produces a "dumb"
solid. If you need a parametric model and it is not too complex, we can
fit splines, but this takes longer and requires another level of

Feel free to send me your file(s) for a quote or give us a call. If the
files are too big to e-mail, you may upload them on our website.

Best regards,

*Crispin B. Weinberg, President*
*Biomedical Modeling Inc.***
167 Corey Road, Suite 111