RE: [rp-ml] Article in July Popular Mechanics about Rapid Prototyping

From: Yasser Hosni <>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 22:33:11 EEST

Combining 3D scanning with RP is not a new idea. What is relatively new is the advances in both fields that made the integration useful and easy to be used by practitioners. I recall that 12 years ago we had a project with Egypt to reverse enginee (RE)r through 3D scanning vital spare parts for some Russian machinery where the original drawings were not available. It took us 6 months to RE a bevel gear with poor accuracy. Similar experience with pump impeller was equally poor. At that time we used a combination of traditional measurements and "Cyberware" scanner. Since then the industry have advanced a long way that enabled free hand 3D scanning with high precision and at a lower cost.
The product cycle is shrinking with high rate as a result of advances in these technologies.

Take care,

Yasser Hosni, Ph.D., PE.

Fellow IIE, Professor Emeritus
University of Central Florida
4000 Central Florida Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32816
Tel (407) 823-5817
Fax (407) 823-3413

>>> "Robert Gootzit" <> 6/10/2009 11:22 AM >>>
Combining Digital Capture ( scanning ) with Additive Rapid Prototyping is
being done in lots of companies. We will be happy to discuss how this is
done, so, if you want to have a phone discussion please let us know.
Best regards,
Bob Gootzit
410-527-9999 ex112