Re: [rp-ml] Software to subtract solid from mesh

From: Ismo Mäkelä <>
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 10:34:28 EET

Dear John,

You may want to try DeskArtes 3Data Expert. The software is specially
designed for manipulating models for 3D printing (STL/VRML repair,
manipulation, measuring, adding primitive objects, Boolean etc.) and it
is attractively priced. Please have a look at the for
more details.

Best regards,

Ismo Mäkelä

John McNeil wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have been playing with CosmicBlobs (, and
> its more serious sibling, CB Model Pro (
> They both make nice, printable, models, and my 8 year daughter can use
> them easily. However, there is nothing precise, square or dimensional
> about the resulting models. I want to take the resulting STL output,
> and add and/or subtract solids made in a regular modeling package to
> precise dimensions.
> The problem I am having is that the packages I have tried (Turbo CAD
> 3D and Art of Illusion) have trouble converting the mesh to a solid so
> I can boolean add or subtract. Usually, they just hang. I understand
> there are programs (like Magics) designed just for workig with meshes.
> Would these help me? What would you recommend that is not too
> expensive (my printer already broke the bank :) )
> Thanks,
> John

Ismo Mäkelä
Managing Director
DeskArtes Oy
Särkiniementie 5 C 13           tel. +358-207 414 510
FIN-00210 HELSINKI              fax. +358-9-644 330