Re: [rp-ml] Am I dreaming?

From: Adrian Bowyer <>
Date: Wed Jun 07 2006 - 13:02:34 EEST

This recurrent debate, though mildly entertaining, is entirely pointless. It is
predicated on the false assumption that a rather small group of people can
decide what the word for something should be. As any philologist will tell you,
that is simply not how language evolves. Sure, we can chuck terms into the mix,
but what finally gets used will be decided by journalists, other writers and -
when the technology becomes ubiquitous - the general public. And they will make
that decision entirely on the basis of ease-of-pronunciation, brevity, and
euphony. Technical considerations will be completely irrelevant.

If we _do_ want to try to nudge this process (and I can't quite see why we
care), we should choose a single short word that is unused for anything else
purely on the basis of its mellifluousness.

Adrian Bowyer