Re: [rp-ml] Where are the Universities?

From: Adrian Bowyer <>
Date: Mon Jan 02 2006 - 17:02:16 EET

Quoting Anand Dwarkanath <>:

> It might be worth pulling out Terry Wohlers article "Obstcales to RP's
> Growth"

For some reason he doesn't mention in that article the single biggest obstacle,
which is over-powerful IP protection laws.

I was at an (entirely unconnected) meeting in Oak Ridge a few weeks ago on the
future of the world's energy research, and I was surprised and pleased to hear
a number of very grown up, very important, very suited people say the same
about energy research: an obsession with IP protection is hamstringing
development. No-one demurred.

Encouraged by this, I made my usual suggestion, which is that governments should
offer tax breaks to companies for not patenting (or rather - they patent, then
tick the box that says "open" or "Creative Commons" o.w.e., and don't pay so
much tax as everyone else when they sell the product). I was rather pleased
that this got into the final set of recommendations. As Jack Marburger
(Science Adviser to the President) was there, who knows?...