From: Jonathan Chertok (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 19:24:22 EEST
I had been using an extended demo version of Materialise Magics and I am
afraid I have been really spoiled.
I've recently started using Rhino and have some familiarity with Form Z.
Neither seem to offer a particularly visual way to view the "validity" of an
I also have a demo version of STLViewer that [seems] to allow me to see
models in a way similar to some jpg's I have seen from Solidview etc.
1. Can anyone recommend a real solid STL Viewer that would allow me to see a
file similar to RP Vendors? Deskartes Viewer?
2. What commands or queries do Vendors run in order to see if a file will
shoot through their machine? And is there some "play" in this deliberation?
3. Can anyone out there who uses Rhino share their experience with "fixing"
stl's for RP - and/or - explain which queries they use to decide if the stl
file is valid.
4. Anyone find Form Z (or other) software more convenient than Rhino for
either BOOLEAN OPERATIONS or stl fixing?
5. I've got some nasty little shapes that seem to come up in STLViewer as
radially alternating multi-colors, which I assume means they have their
normals alternating in a radiul pattern as well. Is viewing the validity of
an stl file in a viewer as simple as checking to see if there are aberrantly
Full Service Design and Construction
Jonathan Chertok. Principal
Austin Texas  407 9628
Buildings + Digital Manufacturing
Share your photos without swamping your Inbox. Get Hotmail Extra Storage
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.7 : Sat Jan 17 2004 - 15:18:09 EET