Your preferred CAD platform

From: CAD users (cad@aeclistings.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 03:02:16 EEST

>From CAD In this issue:
1. Your preferred CAD platform - survey results
2. Up to $50 finders fee
3. Feature article: Using "industry standard" software
4. Speak out in our brand new forum!

1. CAD SURVEY RESULTS
You recently received a survey from CADNewsletter.com (a
publication of AECNewsletter.com).

To all those who recently responded to our CAD platform
survey, thanks for your valuable input.

Note that this is not a scientific survey, and it does not
reflect the actual usefulness of some of the lesser known
products. As a user of several of the "honorable mentions"
myself, I can say that some of them may be superior to the
more popular products...but we'll let you judge for
yourself.

        ---------------------------
        SOFTWARE 2D 3D
        ---------------------------
        AutoCAD 40%
        Vectorworks 15% 3%
        ArchiCAD 10% 8%
        Powercad 10%
        3D Max 18%
        3D Viz 9%
        Form Z 23%
        ---------------------------
        HONORABLE MENTIONS
        DataCAD
        TurboCAD
        Visual CAD
        Revit
        Microstion
        Vellum
        Artlantis
        Design Workshop
        Lightscape
        Solid Works
        Strata 3D or Pro
        ---------------------------

2. $50 FINDERS FEE FOR WEB HOSTING SERVICES
http://aecwebhosting.com

Webhosting rates are going up at the big website hosting
providers. Not at AECWebhosting.com! We are offering a
limited-time finders fee of up to $50 in return for new
hosting accounts. Just refer AECWebhosting.com to your
company decision-maker, then fill out the claim form below.
There is no special tracking required. We will verify that
your referal actually signed up, and send you a check!

This finders fee link is not available on the website
anywhere, so keep this e-mail!
http://cadnewsletter.com/claimform.html

Hosting rates:
Silver Plan - $14.95
Gold Plan - $34.95
Platinum Plan - $74.95

Finders fee rates:
$25 for one-year plans
$50 for two-year plans

Just send your company to:
http://aecwebhosting.com

3. Feature article: Using "industry standard" CAD software

Our recent survey elicited a great deal of discussion over
"industry standard" software package vs. lesser-known
packages. Of course, the discussion predictably took us
into interesting debates on PC vs. Mac vs. Unix vs.
Apple-Unix, all of which have a legitimate role in the
marketplace.

While opinions run strong--and this comes from an avid Mac
fan (home) and begrudging PC user (office)--the bottom
line is that the beauty of the marketplace allows you to
choose what works best for you. Many times, no doubt, the
lure of being able to easily exchange drawing files with
companies using the most popular packages draws decision
makers into purchasing software that doesn't necessarily
work for them.

On the other hand, personal experience tells me that it is
sometimes necessary to know and use the industry standards
in order to (a) stay employed and (b) get important design
contracts. CAD users shouldn't be afraid to depart from
the standards in order to do the work they need. Although
costly for large firms, sometimes the answer may be to buy
both packages, or at least a scaled-down version of one of
them. This should solve any compatibility problems that
scare decision makers away from buying the best software.

Have more to say on this?

Visit our new forum at:
4. http://aecnewsletter.community.everyone.net

Happy drawing,

The Editor

We try to diligently maintain our database so that those
who do not wish to receive communication from us...don't!
If you want to be permanently removed, please allow us to
do so by going to:
http://aecnewsletter.com/remove.html