Re: .STL from IDEAS

From: Keith Nybakke (knybakke@nuhill.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 17:33:23 EEST

This list has provided some very good instructions. I'd like to add a
couple of thoughts...

I would suggest that you try setting the facet deviation as small as
possible -- .0004 inches / .01mm.

This gives us the best results with objects up to the size of, for example,
a telephone. With gently curved surfaces the facet deviation setting alone
will not be adequate and large facets may appear in the gently curved
surfaces in the stl file. If that happens, increase the isoline density of
the offending surface. You don't need to change the isoline density setting
for the entire part. I usually go to a value of 2, but sometimes I have
gone all the way to 4 for the isoline density.

These two settings will drive the facet resolution to its finest possible
capability. As you become more familiar with how the software works, you
will want to optimize the facet resolution versus the file size. There is
no reason to have a huge number of tiny facets if the downstream
application, such as stereolithography, can't make use of them. You will
start to get a feel for how many facets you expect to see for a size and
type of part.

One more thing, invest in a good stl viewer if you don't have one. We
always view our stl files before sending them out. It's a cheap and easy
quality control method.

Best Regards,
Keith Nybakke