Ceramic Prototypes

From: Jim Burt (jim.burt@infocus.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 23:36:58 EET

Folks, I am looking for alternative methods/vendors for prototyping ceramic
lamp bases. They operate in a 500-700 deg C environment. These are nor
simply 2D with some through holes or slots. These parts can get fairly
complex, for ceramics. Generally I machine them from Macor but can make only
2 a day on our CNC. I may need 100 pretty soon and at about 2/ day I am
looking at 50 work days, with no scrap...not nearly acceptable.

I have tried to have some made by the SLS process (DTM, thru Brent Stucker,
Univ. Rhode Island), and the parts were good but could not handle elevated
temperatures. I still think that is a viable approach and if someone has
more info I would be most appreciative. Since I don't know the sintering
temperature of the laser, and a heck of a lot of other things, there may /
may not be a material that will work by this process.

If any of you would like to quote some of these, please let me know. I do
not generate drawings unless forced into it (for prototype parts), so you
need to be able to take IGES data.

Thanks a lot.

Jim

James R. Burt