UPS's for Tim Dalton and Jim Harrison for SLA-5000

From: Monica & Glenn Whiteside (SiderWhite@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri May 22 1998 - 10:20:12 EEST

Tim and Jim:

I've been doing some research on UPS's for a SLA-5000. A friend of mine at 3D Systems recommended Toshiba (1400XL Plus Series or the 1400 Super XL Plus Series) because of their computer grade sinewave and the speed of their AC-to-DC switching to minimize brownout and transient damage, especially to protect the solid state laser. The SLA-5000 has a 16 amp peak load (according to 3D Systems field service engineering) at 240 VAC which is 3.84 KVA. A Toshiba 1400XL Plus Series UPS rated at 6.0 KVA (their next one down is only rated at 3.6 KVA and this extra capacity will let you put other loads on it such as computers) runs $7,900.00 (priced 04/23/98) and they normally stock these. You might want to consider even more KVA capacity for the future in case you get another SLA-5000. You can reach Toshiba at the following web site: www.tic.toshiba.com

Another manufacturer you may want to check out is Control Concepts, a subsidiary of Liebert Corporation (Liebert is a well-known manufacturer of high quality HVAC units for computer and lab rooms). I haven't priced any of their units out yet but they can be reached at the following web site:
www.control-concepts.com/

Another option for those with little or no budget left right now (like us) is to look at 240 VAC surge suppressors. They don't compare to UPS's as far as the level of protection but as least they're better than nothing. Locally I found some here in Wichita at an industrial electrical supplier, a high quality one runs around $400.00, they have them even cheaper but you get what you pay for. I don't have the brand or specs on me right now but if you're interested, just e-mail me and I can fax them to you. Good luck and if you find anything else in your research please let me know.

Regards,

Glenn Whiteside
Cessna Aircraft
e-mail: siderwhite@worldnet.att.net