Parting Lines...

From: Phil Orenstein (aporenstein@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Apr 08 1998 - 08:57:43 EEST

Dear List,

I have enjoyed the few months I've spent with you on the list, but
now I must focus on other things for the time being. But I'll be back. I
feel that I've been in the company of remarkable individuals who are the
pioneers of this 'challenging' technology. All I can say is keep going
and keep up the good work! Today we don't have the giants like Bell Labs
pouring $$$ into R&D. We only have 'small' entreprenuers, understaffed
Engineering Departments and underfunded University research Labs to move
this technology forward. At the present time, I cannot join you in this
challenge, unfortunately because the Dilbert principle is operative at
my present company. No matter how many proposals and requests I've made
to management to explore new tooling and prototyping options, they've
relegated it to the back-burner like a pot of last-years' stagnant
chicken soup. But I will not give up. This is my love, my passion. You
can't keep a good mind down!

Regards to all,
Phil Orenstein

"A lot of people think that I have done things because of some "genius"
that I've got. That too is not true. Any other bright-minded fellow can
accomplish just as much if he will stick like hell and remember that
nothing that's any good works by itself, just to please you; you got to
make the damn thing work. You may have heard people repeat what I have
said, "Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration."
Yes, sir, it's mostly hard work."
                                        -Thomas Edison