Re: Raster is faster

Date: Wed Dec 06 1995 - 16:11:31 EET

-- [ From: Al Hastbacka * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

Raster may be faster in some cases, but there are VERY FEW cases where
raster is better than vector. When we started the Model Maker
development program in 1991, it was done because the raster techniques
that we examined DID NOT have the quality of surface finish(all sides--
not just the TOP) that we needed. The raster techniques that we
examined INCLUDED the printhead that is in the MJM. However, we wanted
precision, accuracy, and surface finish. If you are willing to give up
some of those parameters, the raster approach has some merit for
certain geometries (e.g., bricks--but then you could use a saw to cut a
block of wax to make even a faster prototype).

Al Hastbacka