Re2: 3D fax: Who needs it

From: BAU (
Date: Tue Dec 05 1995 - 12:28:03 EET

>Who wants it? Good question. When the fax was first demonstrated they
>the same question. But it has made the transition from big business
>to consumer product quite well dont you think?

In this particular case, there was a real unsatisfied market:
When I remember right, the fax was developed by a german company (AEG,
Siemens, Triumph Adler - I dont remember).
It was no real success in Germany. But then, japanese companies took over
the idea, and started mass production:
There was just an enormous need to transmit the vast variety of
(handwritten) and complicated japanese letters. Then, they re-imported
the idea to a price nobody could withstand - even not in our western
27-letter world.

For short: We need to have a "hit" application.

Regards, Juergen

Yours sincerely, Juergen

Dipl. Ing. Juergen Bauer, Bremen Institute of Industrial Technology and
Applied Work Science (BIBA), P.O. Box 33 05 60, 28 335 Bremen,
Phone: +49/421/218-5595, Fax: +49/421/218-5510, Email:,