RE: Quickcast investment molds for silicone

From: Greg Pettengill (
Date: Fri Dec 01 1995 - 08:38:35 EET

>Al Hastbacka wrote:
>>Has anyone on this list ever tried to use investment casting techniques
>>to make silicone rubber models. <Snip>

>Todd Stahlhut wrote:
>Are you aware that you can use a sla pattern to form a silicone mold into
>which you can inject several different plastics. This mold can be used
>multiple times. I would think this would work for you unless I am missing
>something. There are several companies that offer this service.

If the objective of this process is to get a one-shot "silicone rubber model",
then I would suggest that you create a wax mold and pore RTV silicone rubber
into it. Then after it has cured melt the wax mold away.

Best Regards

Greg Pettengill I do not know if it is true, but I imagine that
there are scientists who, by following the paths of the so-called
"cold" intellect
(602) 375-2922 -possibly without being aware of it- are plumbing
the depths of a
                          mystery rather than searching for the solution to
a problem...
     M.C. Escher