Printing applications for the blind

From: Jan Andrzejewski <taikojan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 15:19:48 +0000

For me the date of the patent for two materials is important as this would
allow true 3D printing, allowing overhangs. (patent number and date?)
What companies licenced this from Howtek? would also be a question I would
like to find out.

I have always been brought up (since school) with the terminology of 2.5 D
as being raised in the vertical plane as a simple extrusion.
Having geometric features in other planes is true 3D.

Did Howtek test if the thermoplastic material was of low ash content so
that it could be used in the investment casting process?
I was involved with an EU thematic network project that looked at the use
of RP and 3D models etc in the foundry industry (mid 1990) and the shocking
thing was how little and slow the uptake of TCT was in the foundry industry.