Re: Why so few people are responding to the list

From: Markus Hitter <mah_at_jump-ing.de>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 23:49:28 +0200

Am 27.09.2016 um 22:37 schrieb Marshall Burns:

> the sender shows only as Steve Arnell without the
> details about it having come via the list owner. That's why I thought he
> sent it only to me. Furthermore, clicking on "Reply to All" does the same
> thing as just "Reply," the reply e-mail is addressed only to the original
> sender, not the list owner, and certainly not to the list itself

This isn't a fault, it's intentionally. Imagine what happens if one of the list members turns on his vacation auto-responder. List sends to auto-responder, auto-responder sends to list, list sends the auto-response to the auto-responder ... a nice email bomb.

Well, unless either of the two participants takes care of such situations. Nowadays, auto-responders should be intelligent enough to not answer to mailing lists and list software should be intelligent enough to detect loops.

However, looking at the (hidden part of the) header of a mail coming in from the list, there is zero indication it was sent by a list software. Typical header entries like 'List-ID' are missing. If there wasn't this [rp-ml] added in the subject, it'd look like an entirely private email.

Not sure which list software RP-ML is using.

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter