Re: Dying SLS Nylon and Glass Filled Nylon Parts

From: Greg Paulsen <gpaulsen_at_nextlinemfg.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:24:16 -0400

Hi Jordan,

RIT dye (acid dye) is used fairly regularly when dying SLS pieces so you're
on the right track. Just as a note - you will get different results from
different material mixes and fills. I recommend getting the parts in
circulating hot water that is at least 180F (the closer to boiling, the
better the adhesion). I have used a hot plate, large cooking pot, and candy
thermometer as a setup for small batches (we used to use pyrex and a
microwave...). Mix in the dye, add some vinegar (white), and heat it up.
Make sure the part doesn't sit directly on the pot where the burner is or
you may get some melt/deformity.

There is some trial and error on adhesion; a good test is to run the part
under cold water and see what it *really* looks like once the superficial
dye runs off. I almost always quench in cold water after dying. Timing is
also an experiment. It seems to me black takes forever with white PA12 (and
will often fade purple) but some blues will stick on in minutes. Hopefully
this helps out - I'd be interested to hear if the community has some other
tricks of the trade.

Cheers,
-Greg

---