Re: [rp-ml] wax positives and cast bronzes

From: Stewart Dickson <mathartspd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 16:49:54 -0500

Hi, Jonathan,

1) The reason to use a 3-D-Printed wax positive is generally to
reproduce in metal something which defies mold-making. Sprue and
Invest the wax original directly, burn it out and cast something
really complex.

2) Otherwise, a 3-D printed wax original might be really fragile to
pull a mold from. Why not use a more robust 3-D printed original
like a stereolithograph, FDM/ABS or practically anything but wax?

That said, I did have some friends of mine -- Atomic Monkey
Productions, Glendale, CA -- print a
wax original for me and then walk it through American Fine Arts
Foundry in nearby Burbank. Again,
it was a piece which would have had a pretty expensive mold associated
with it. So, printing a wax
original was definitely the way to go.

I, personally would not recommend shipping a 3-D-printed wax original
very far for reproduction.

Cheers,

-Stewart Dickson