Re: [rp-ml] Cost of Parts Produced on a REPRAP or equivalent

From: Markus Hitter <mah_at_jump-ing.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 00:16:27 +0100

Am 27.02.2013 um 18:06 schrieb ChathamRes_at_aol.com:

> We are trying to cost compare making small ABS parts (2"x1.3"x.5"
> with a
> weight of 10 grams) using a REPRAP or equivalent RP system

There are currently 300+ known printer designs in the RepRap
community, all of which have different performance properties. :-)

Regarding cost estimates:

- RepRap printers cost between $500 and $1500, mostly depending on
how much you collect and assemble parts yourself.

- RepRaps currently biggest weakness is their calibration for
reliable and accurate printing. Expect a few days and quite some
experience to get that done.

- Once calibrated, operating costs are pretty close to the cost of
the raw material / ABS filament. RepRap printers typically print
without user attention, starting a job and getting the printed parts
off the printer combines to maybe 20 minutes. Electricity consumption
is usually about 300 watts for ABS printing.

- Printing speed - quite an issue if you want hundreds of parts - is
somewhere between 20 and 100 grams per hour, depending on printer
type, nozzle size and layer thickness. The latter two define your
print quality.

- You can build as many parts simultanuously as fit on the build
platform, of course.

All of the above isn't based on precise research, more based on
reading the RepRap forums daily for some three years now.

HTH,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter
http://reprap-diy.com/