[rp-ml] Product Announcement: Uformia: MeshUp on Kickstarter, Symvol Released

From: Leigh McLoughlin <leigh_at_uformia.com>
Date: Mon Oct 29 2012 - 19:39:42 EET

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself and announce our Kickstarter campaign for a new modelling package designed specifically for the needs of the 3D printing community:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/723819776/meshup-mashup-for-meshes

We are looking to shake up and revolutionise the way people model objects for 3D printing with our campaign to "Save the World from Polygons!". This is supported by the Kickstarter project and also the launch of our new modelling software Symvol, which we announced at our stand last weekend at the 3D Printshow in London.

The problem we're looking to solve is that existing surface and polygonal modelling methods can be great for graphics, but they're lousy when it comes to 3D printing. As I'm sure you all know, they commonly exhibit holes and intersections that require time and effort to fix. Also, because there is no inherent knowledge of an object's volume, multi-material and material blends are impossible to define with polygons.

Our solution is to use pure mathematical volumes (not voxels or parametric surfaces) rather than surfaces and polygons, which makes it perfectly suited to 3D printing. MeshUp will allow mesh import, repair and conversion to volume, easy mixing of meshes as well as shelling and microstructures. Perhaps most importantly, the mathematics of our system guarantees that our objects are always watertight, making them significantly easier to 3d print.

We are looking to radically change the way users create models for 3D printing and are positioning ourselves as offering the only *real* solution to the problems that makers and industry professionals face.

Thank you for reading, I hope this was interesting and informative enough for everyone to keep me within the newsgroup etiquette :) If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to answer them for you.

Kind regards,

Leigh McLoughlin
Community Manager
Uformia AS