RE: [rp-ml] Z-corp, "open-sourcing" & "crowd-sourcing"

From: Jeremy Pullin <Jeremy.Pullin_at_Renishaw.com>
Date: Thu Nov 24 2011 - 18:22:45 EET

That’s not correct.

Outside the U.S. we already operate the ‘first to file’ system. This does have an effect on who can apply for the patent but it makes no changes as to the validity of it. What I said below about prior art would still mean that BP would not be able to have a valid patent regardless of whether they are the first to file or not as would be the case for all open sourse stuff. I (and the vast majority of engineers outside the US) personally think that it can only be a good thing from a worldwide perspective that US patent laws are at last being brought into line with those for the rest of the world. Too many times in the past individuals and small organisations both inside and outside of the US have invented things and filed patent applications only for the ideas to be stolen and protected by US patents by larger US corporations who have the resource to be the first to achieve ‘reduction to practice’ whereby they are granted patent under the current ‘first to invent rule’ operated in the US.