RE: [rp-ml] printing costs

From: David K. Leigh <dkleigh_at_harvest-tech.com>
Date: Tue Jun 07 2011 - 16:54:04 EEST

We've been involved with many systems over the years. The most
efficient material delivery systems for cost are not the 3D printers (I
put Objet, Projet, Stratasys in this category). They typically have
lower cost equipment with higher $/kg material. On the other side, SLA
is one of the highest cost as far as equipment, but lower cost $/kg. As
could be expected, if you buy the big fancy printer and run lots of
stuff through it, you gain some decent efficiencies. Our general rule
of thumb - if you outsource more than $10,000 per month, it makes sense
to investigate a machine purchase. If less than that, you're better off
not owning.

>From a little book I read once upon a time - Celebration of Discipline -
it had several nuggets of wisdom:

* Look with healthy skepticism at all "buy now, pay later"
schemes.

* Buy things for their usefulness rather than for their status.

* LEARN TO ENJOY THINGS WITHOUT OWNING THEM.

Maker bots will be a good hobby and will help influence 3D creativity -
but owning your own multifunctional 3D printer is probably never going
to realistically happen. I don't even have a Xerox copy machine at my
house.

David K. Leigh

Harvest Technologies | Rapid Prototyping and Production Services

815 Kirkley Blvd. | Belton | TX | 76513

Phone: 254.933.1000 | Fax: 254.298.0125

www.harvest-tech.com <http://www.harvest-tech.com/> | "Where Innovation
Takes Shape"