RE: [rp-ml] printing costs

From: Sean RePliForm <Sean_at_RePliFormInc.com>
Date: Tue Jun 07 2011 - 16:44:16 EEST

Elaine,

Welcome back to the RPML! Long time no see.

I agree with everything you said about printing color pictures. Ever since
I could get color 4x6 prints for $0.13, 8x10 for less than $1.50 and 20x30
for less $10, I've lost all interest in printing my own pictures at home.
(I also must admit to having a reject rate on my prints at home of 50%.)
Personally, I think this says very good things about the future of the 3D
printing market if the analogy holds and the price of 3D printing at a
service bureau is cheaper than running a low cost printer at home, not that
I think its there yet. A service bureau will likely have a bigger build
envelope, more materials and the experience needed to make the part print
optimally. Those are good things that you won't be able to build into a
personal printer at a reasonable price.

 Sean Wise

  _____