Re: [rp-ml] Re: Innovation in America

From: Adrian Bowyer <A.Bowyer_at_bath.ac.uk>
Date: Mon Feb 28 2011 - 22:51:25 EET

G. Sachs wrote:

> are going to be laid off in Florida, including many aerospace engineers). Just
> like with everything else, how much will employers be willing to pay engineers
> and product developers in the future? $100K/yr, $60K/yr, $50K/yr. What if you
> can hire a top-notch Chinese, or Indian engineer for $30K?

Why pay more? That sounds like the very essence of capitalism to me.

There was a time when the best engineers and the richest people lived
on the Nile; later they lived in Rome; later they lived in London;
later they lived in California. Why shouldn't that point move to Mumbai?

Plus, of course, "An engineer can do for a nickel what any damn fool
can do for a dollar." (Henry Ford) The _purpose_ of the profession is
to drive things in the direction of _minimising_ its reward...

Best wishes

Adrian

Dr Adrian Bowyer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Bowyer