Re: [rp-ml] file for business card puzzle

From: G. Sachs <sachsg_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue Sep 14 2010 - 22:33:01 EEST

Not sure I would ever use something like this, but thanks for sharing this with us Olaf. G. Sachs Paradyme Systems U.S.A. ________________________________ From: Olaf Diegel <olaf.diegel_at_aut.ac.nz> To: The Creature Company <mail_at_creaturecompany.com>; rp-ml_at_rapid.lpt.fi Sent: Mon, September 13, 2010 4:26:17 PM Subject: RE: [rp-ml] file for business card puzzle Thanks Lino, Well, a fair few people have asked for the files, so I have uploaded them to my server, and will leave them there for a week, or so. The Solidworks 2010 files is at: http://www.ciri.org.nz/downloads/magic_card_SW.rar and the single part STL file is at: http://www.ciri.org.nz/downloads/magic_card_stl.rar The file is just the generic folding card so you need to add your logos, etc. I don't have a high enough resolution printer to make it myself, so you may need to tweak the tolerances depending which machine you are printing it on. Note that the original design was not mine. I just thought it was incredibly cool so figured out how it worked and CADed one up. If anyone turns it into their own business card, fell free to send me one. Always good to show students what is possible. :-) Cheers Olaf Professor Olaf Diegel Director, Creative Industries Research Institute, www.ciri.org.nz Auckland University of Technology Associate Dean, Strategic Development, Faculty of Design & Creative Technologies WS117, 34 St Paul Street, Auckland, New Zealand Tel: 64-9-921 9485, Fax: 64-9-920 0421 Email: olaf.diegel_at_aut.ac.nz Web: www.ciri.org.nz/olaf/ >>> "The Creature Company" <mail_at_creaturecompany.com> 14/09/2010 1:09 a.m. >>> Olaf, That is wonderful! I am not sure about the tolerances either… Maybe someone here would know? But I am willing to experiment with it. I would need it as a stl file. But if it is troublesome for you I can convert it. I also went to your website! Your research on curved printing it very intriguing!! Lino   From:Olaf Diegel [mailto:olaf.diegel_at_aut.ac.nz] Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2010 11:16 PM To: The Creature Company; rp-ml_at_rapid.lpt.fi Subject: Re: [rp-ml] file for business card puzzle   Hi Lino,   Yep. I've done a model of that. Any particular format do you want it in? I created it in Solidworks. Also, I'm not sure what tolerance you need in there to print it as a single print. I currently have 0.1mm clearances   Might need a bit of tweaking to print properly. :-)   Best regards from New Zealand. Olaf     Professor Olaf Diegel Director, Creative Industries Research Institute, www.ciri.org.nz Auckland University of Technology Associate Dean, Strategic Development, Faculty of Design & Creative Technologies WS117, 34 St Paul Street, Auckland, New Zealand Tel: 64-9-921 9485, Fax: 64-9-920 0421 Email: olaf.diegel_at_aut.ac.nz Web: www.ciri.org.nz/olaf/ >>> "The Creature Company" <mail_at_creaturecompany.com> 12/09/2010 4:49 a.m. >>> Hello all,   EOS had these wonderful cards at the RAPID show that were printed on their machines. They were hinged and could flip in any manner of ways. Does anyone know of similar files for download? If not I’ll just start building my own but I wanted to check first.   Thanks!   Lino