Re: [rp-ml] on behalf of Ted Anderson

From: G. Sachs <sachsg_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue Sep 14 2010 - 21:25:01 EEST

The quickest and cheapest way to introduce the concept of planar decomposition and additive construction might be like you suggest with a toy like the '3D Sculpture' puzzle below, followed by a nice video demonstration of modern fabbers. The Darth Vader or Pharaoh kit might be the most fun for younger kids. Of coarse a MakerBot would be nice too, if the budget allows for it.  http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Darth-Sculpture-Puzzle/dp/B000PG2DFO G. Sachs Paradyme Systems U.S.A. ________________________________ From: "Steele, Phillip (MSFC-EM42)[ICRC - Jacobs]" <phillip.e.steele_at_nasa.gov> To: "rp-ml_at_rapid.lpt.fi" <rp-ml_at_rapid.lpt.fi> Sent: Tue, September 14, 2010 1:14:07 PM Subject: [rp-ml] on behalf of Ted Anderson From:Anderson, Theodore {Ted} (MSFC-EM42)[Raytheon - Jacobs] Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:12 AM To: rp-ml_at_rapid.lpt.fi Subject: RP activities for middle school kids   Does anyone have any suggestions on a hands-on activity that I can have middle school kids do that simulates rapid prototyping/additive manufacturing?  I’m not able to bring a system with me, so I was trying to think of some kind of hands-on activity for them to do.  The only thing I can think of is a 3D puzzle… Thanks, Ted Anderson Rapid Prototyping Lab Raytheon Jacobs MSFC ESTS Contract     Phillip Steele Jacobs Engineering ESTS Group / ICRC National Center for Advanced Manufacturing Rapid Prototyping Marshall Space Flight Center