[rp-ml] How could RP & RM help in solving BP's Gulf Catastrophe?

From: G. Sachs <sachsg_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 19:19:26 EEST

I was wonder how various RP processes, including AM, might help in the Gulf oil disaster. I don't expect the "geniuses" at BP (or even in the government) to have spent much time thinking about that one. I have at least one idea, and thought it might be a good way to RM a higher profile.

First suggestion I have:
Use scanners to scan the badly cut wellhead and then create a CAD model of the opening. Make a perfectly mating pipe joint that can have a rubber seal attached to it. Use rapid prototyping in combination with rapid casting to create this joint. This could be tried before trying to make another better cut (and might be faster). And - by the way, BP - this idea isn't free, if you don't already have it in your little "suggestion box" of free ideas (that you and your buddies in the government won't release to the public). I am sure at this time of crisis, BP likes nothing better than getting all those helpful free suggestions and volunteers. Poor BP, they need all the free help they can get, I guess.

G. Sachs
Paradyme Systems U.S.A.