RE: [rp-ml] low-res 3D scanning

From: john irvin <jirvin_at_necoinc.com>
Date: Wed Jan 20 2010 - 21:25:31 EET

Ian
This may have been already said in a previous submittal, but this is from
about 10-12 years of experience scanning and reverse engineering parts.

>From reading your e-mail. It sounds like you are just needing to get a 3d
figure up on the web so that you can spin it and see all sides. A good
example is that some of the electronic stores allow you to see a product and
then spin it in space.

If you do not need manipulate the object, but just want to keep the files
size small but have a texture over the mesh. I would use one of the digital
photo to 3d image software's. They have been around for many years and we
looked and tried several about 10 years ago, but it did not fit our needs,
at the time cameras were at about 2.5 meg pixels. Now days with very hi-res
digital cameras, you can get a very accurate model with a great texture.

If you need to manipulate the point cloud, polymesh or so on. many of the
scanners are good on the market now days.

If you want to get the file size down, texture wise you are stuck with the
texture map. But you may be able to take the raw scan point cloud and reduce
the number of points and then put the texture back over it.

I have the 2 versions of rapidform, the every bell and whistle version and
bell only version. Both are good software's, even the Lt version can reduce
the point cloud.

Depending on your final needs this is my 3 cents on the subject.

Thank You
John Irvin, NECO Incorporated
12966 W 61st Circle, Arvada,
T: +1 (303) 668 1663 | C: 303 668 1663 | E: JIrvin@necoinc.com |
www.necoinc.com | www.nivristudios.com

This email transmission is confidential and may contain proprietary
information for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. Any use,
distribution or copying of this transmission, other than by the intended
recipient, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender and delete all copies. Electronic media is
susceptible to unauthorized modification, deterioration, and
incompatibility. Accordingly, the electronic media version of any work
product may not be relied upon.