Re: [rp-ml] Future of RP Industry?

From: G. Sachs <sachsg_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat Jan 09 2010 - 03:13:51 EET

IMO it will continue grow relatively slowly and its growth will be highly dependent on the health of the overall economy. Even to many manufacturing industries and start-ups, RP is still pretty hard to justify bringing in-house and might still be viewed as more of a 'luxury' rather than a necessity. Also, because it has very few direct consumer applications, is still very expensive to acquire and use, and appears to have little or NO inherent entertainment value (after you've seen it work 1-2 times, it's a little like watching grass grow), I don't think consumers will ever be knocking the doors down at Best Buy to get their own 'fabber' (much to the disappointment of many longtime cheerleaders out there). No folks, in the long run, I think this field will only appeal to those of us who don't mind working long hours, for little pay, in the 'manufacturing trenches' and who could best be described as, die hard gear-heads (like Jay Leno), and/or super-nerds.

G. Sachs