RE: [rp-ml] free STL Files and other (free) things we wish for in the new year

From: Marshall Burns <ListMail2_at_fabbers.com>
Date: Fri Jan 08 2010 - 19:17:44 EET

John,

            I hope you get some good responses to your inquiry about
machining small ABS gears, indeed an important problem.

            I have to disagree with you that in the early 90s we didn’t have
discussions such as the one Adrian Bowyer has been stimulating. If I
remember correctly, there was a steady stream of heated arguments about
where the technology was going, how it would be used, and how it would
affect society. When my book was published in 1993, it included a chapter,
“Economic and Sociological Impact.” Along with sections on the new role of
the customer in manufacturing and on how to get rich from fabricators, there
was my favorite section of the book, “Impact of Automated Fabrication on
Society,” which I later posted in the philosophy section of my personal
website at www.MBurns.com/sophics/autofab.asp . I have sometimes wondered if
the musings in that section were part of the reason the Genie Studio Fabber
didn’t get funded!

            The word “money” does not appear there, but the very first
sentence is, “A new technology can change the way people and nations
interact with each other and with their environments, how they acquire goods
and services for survival and betterment, and how they assign value to
various sorts of available goods and services,” which is exactly what the
debate here in the past few days has been about.

            I’ve been delighted with the way Adrian has gone far beyond the
ideas discussed there. More important yet is that Adrian is not just
speaking theoretically, but has put his ideas into a physical product that
he has brought to market, something I did not succeed in doing.

            I do understand that some or many members of this list are only
interested in technical information or economic applications. Please bear
with the rest of us geeks who are also interested in more esoteric aspects
of the field.

Regards,

Marshall Burns

www.fabbers.com <http://www.fabbers.com/>