Re: [rp-ml] free STL Files and other (free) things we wish for in the new year

From: Markus Hitter <mah_at_jump-ing.de>
Date: Thu Jan 07 2010 - 21:12:20 EET

Am 07.01.2010 um 17:33 schrieb Fast 3D di Saleri Stefano:

> I don't see the sense of making everything so costless and "free".

Perhaps it sounds like communism: You share your work with others and
benefit from others sharing their work with you.

The software industry shows how well this works. Even if you want to
sell commercial products, you get 80% from the community, spend back
10% and sell well because you're 10% ahead of the competition.

The first 10% (gently enforced by the community) are usually fixes to
make things more reliable and the later 10% are typically things more
towards marketing, like design.

And no, the model doesn't stop here as making things more reliable
enables people to try out even more ideas which in turn allows
refining to commercial grade quality ... you see how the circle closes?

But then, there are many many people who work just to realize their
ideas. That's natural human behaviour. They couldn't, if they had to
start from scratch each time.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/