Re: [rp-ml] free STL Files and other things we wish for in the new year

From: Sebastien Bailard <penguin_at_supermeta.com>
Date: Tue Jan 05 2010 - 05:01:06 EET

There's been some good discussion; I feel a little less guilty about raising a bit of a fuss.

I'm not really interested in "panty-bomber" caricatures of recent villains which seem deliberately designed to play into 5 minutes of hate, i.e. ranting about those dirty so-and-so's. Even the caricatures of heroes are a bit unwelcome in my inbox.

I am interested in occasional announcements of new Faceto3d version releases and the occasional behind the curtain explanations of how jobshops and bespoke shops are using the software to have fun and generate wealth. I'm just not keen on being marketed to in the other manner. (Now the multistation emails, _those_ I don't remember signing up for.)

I _am_ interested in how figurative sculpture, meaning fine art, caricature, erotic, dirty, and erotic and dirty, interfaces with RP. (Derail - how many folk have printed stuff that's gotten sold by galleries?)

Considering that humans are horny (and often exhibitionist) little buggers, I think we're going to see a lot of experimentation and play, sex & RP wise. I remember reading a note somewhere by a worker at goodvibes.com. (A 'tasteful' sex toy shop) The clerk had traveled to Egypt to see the pyramids and so on. When a tour guide learned that the visitor worked at a sex toy store, she pulled her aside at one point for a quick discussion about sex stuff and ended up ordering a bottle of lube, such stuff being hard to source (or not on the cultural radar) in Egypt. The clerk was bemused that she ended up 'talking shop' on a travel holiday, but went on to write that sexuality is a fundamental human right and need and all that. This seems trivial, but I can imagine the massive, ongoing, nightly frustration of living in a culture and being in such a quandary.

Where am I going with all this? Ah right. I think the other prognostications are correct, and that we're going to see a huge wave of Sex-RP coming out, increasing along with availability and cheapness. I imagine it will play out differently for private folk and exhibitionist folk in ways we may not need to sketch out in these forum, until 3D scanning gets into the home, anyway. I suspect diy-RP may dominate that market, although I haven't seen any discussion in the RepRap forum.

Anyway, better plastic dongs than plastic handguns, and all that. I suspect the major players aren't going to talk up that aspect in most of their promotional literature, any time soon.

Getting back to the derail: How many folk have printed stuff that's gotten sold by galleries?

-Sebastien