Re: [rp-ml] Adaptive Slicing

From: Markus Hitter <mah_at_jump-ing.de>
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 15:12:18 EEST

Am 20.07.2009 um 10:34 schrieb Hauser, Carl:

> I would be interested to hear views on the use of adaptive slicing
> techniques

One of the obvious reasons why adaptive slicing didn't become a
standard is, the recovery time between building layers have been
drastically reduced over the years. The bare curing time of an SLA is
roughly the same for two layers of 0.1 mm or one layer of 0.2 mm.

As standard layer thicknesses have come down to 0.05 mm and less,
it's almost impossible to further increase part accuracy with common
hardware.

Different layer thicknesses lead to different sidewards surface
roughnesses, making parts look "unequal".

As soon as you have one non-vertical wall, adaptive slicing isn't
helpful any longer.

Last, not least, modern machines try to give a one-click experience
and mostly disallow fiddling with build parameters, much less allow
to implement custom build strategies. An experimenter would have to
be authorized by the vendor to even get started.

Very likely there are exemptions for each of the reasons above, but
this is what I personally think are the reasons why adaptive slicing
didn't get a foothold in the industry.

Markus Hitter

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/