Re: [rp-ml] dxf Representation

From: Jonathan Chertok (Universal Joint) <chertok_at_universaljointdesign.com>
Date: Mon Apr 27 2009 - 16:17:05 EEST

Hi Markus,All.

I think the question needs clarifying.

Does anyone know whether dxf describes 4 points in space or two sets of
tris for each quad? I've opened the file and I'm not sure whether there
is a source to sort through this.

The lowdown is I have software that is just displaying the quad face
(which could be curved or flat) and does not display this as two tris.
My understanding is that this additional edge can be either "implied" or
"explicit" (in part whether you can see it) and I'm wondering if this
has to do solely with how the software interprets the dxf data, with how
the data was generated originally or both.

The other issue is one of rendering quad faces and I've come to
understand that this is sometimes controlled by the graphics card which
is an issue I'd like to understand better.

Sincerely,

Jonathan

http://www.universaljointdesign.com
development + design + construction

[ blog ] on digital tools, rapid prototyping technologies and the fabrication of free-form structure.