Re: [rp-ml] RP and Me

From: Brock Hinzmann <bhinzmann_at_sric-bi.com>
Date: Sun Jan 18 2009 - 00:19:00 EET

Michael, how nice to see you are still out there.

I think Adrian is working on that last line for us.

Integrating printable electronics into the additive manufacturing rocess
is another goal that has not been met, so maybe another line would be:

to be able to add sensors and actuators
to one of Michael Rees' printable sculptures

Brock

michael rees wrote:
> [...]
>> Where might I go to get some help? Basically, I would say no progress
>> has been made on metal parts. No progress has been made on
>> solid-model CAD. No progress has been made on customized
>> health/medical/physical-assistance products from laser-scanning,
>> X-ray, MRI, or other data visualization inputs. I was also
>> anticipating a number of developments in advanced materials, LEDs,
>> printed electronics, and smart materials that have not fully
>> materialized. I re-send the poem and I'll let others judge as to
>> whether we are any closer:
>>
>> Buttons and bows and things that glow
>> Cups and plates and things that I break
>> Custom containers and boxes for lovers
>> Onion-skin packages that peel back to uncover
>> Hidden gadgets and pageants of glitter and flutter.
>>
>> Golf club covers and ball mark repair tools
>> To give away to friends and fools
>> Who lose such things as a normal rule
>> Orthotic running shoe inserts, just for my feet
>> Or maybe new soles that are neater than neat.
>>
>> Levers and knobs that fall off of the car
>> Fasteners in the garage that I now keep in a jar
>> And anything else I can’t find when I want it
>> And can’t remember the last place I bought it
>> But can get on the Internet from someone who’s got it.
>>
>> Just download that file from Tony or Elaine
>> Of a sailboat or whistle or a puzzle-type game
>> Listed on their personal Web site for free
>> Or maybe I might have to pay a small fee
>> But a lot less trouble and searching for me.
>>
>> Everyone will be doing this before long
>> And then mass production of things will be gone
>> And the computer networks will really be busy
>> People selling their files as intellectual properties
>> To the Hallmarks and Time-Warners and even the Disneys.
>>
>> I dashed off this poem on a Friday afternoon, U.S. time, which you
>> distributed on the RP-ML, before I headed off to Brisbane for an
>> Australian conference on rapid product development. Someone from
>> Perth had printed out the poem and placed copies on the publications
>> table by Sunday (less than 30 hours later). Not that I'm a great
>> poet, but I think a lot of people were inspired by the technology and
>> had high hopes that have not been fulfilled. In spite of the lack of
>> revolution, I continue to be inspired by the evolution.
>>
>> Brock Hinzmann
>> Technology Navigator
>> bhinzmann@sric-bi.com
>>
>> Elaine Hunt wrote:
>>> I left the RPMl about 5 years ago and decided this week to re-join
>>> to see just where the technology had moved. I was shocked to see the
>>> naming debate was still a topic however it is an interesting one and
>>> seems to be based on just how individuals interact with the technology.
>>> I came back to RPML to learn more and catch up so here are my
>>> questions:
>>> This June will be the 20th year since I first trained at 3D Systems.
>>> How many of the real
>>>
>>> Dinasaurs are still lurking about?
>>>
>>> What can you do with the technology today that you could not do...
>>> 10 years ago?
>>> 5 years ago?
>>> What do you want to the able to do in
>>> 5 years?