Re: [rp-ml] International Terminology Standards - UNIVERSAL STL FILE

From: Baran M. Dag <baran.dag_at_temperman.com>
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 07:42:07 EET

Hello All,

We are following the discussions around the terminology, as we possibly
all are experiencing the same difficulties in communicating due to this
lack of unification in "RAPID" terminology.

I just wanted to bring something else up to your attention which is
already in my mind for some time. It seems like an appropriate time.

As the competition is getting harsher, systems manufacturers are coming
up with new machines more frequently than ever.

This is great and yes we all love it but sometimes making unbiased
comparisons of all these new machines could be frustrating if you are on
the market for a new system and evaluating what is available.

It would really really be great if there was a universal STL file for
"practical" benchmarking of new systems.

This universal part should have certain geometry, so when we run the
file in different systems and put the parts down on the table for
comparison, we should be able to get a rough idea with only inspecting
through eyes and hands. It should give us some idea about "all"(may be
not possible), surface roughness, z-axis features, sharp features, small
features, impact, flexibility, whatever and anything.

If anyone would appreciate this kind of universal STL file in their life
or already have a design for that or has a better idea or you think this
is not usefull at all, please share your thoughts. It would really be
great to hear from you.

I am sure designing this file will be a fun ride to many who gets this
message.

Best wishes,
Baran M. Dag

Temperman Bvba