RE: [rp-ml] Rapid Prototyping Community

From: Ron Hollis, President and CEO, Quickparts <rhollis_at_quickparts.com>
Date: Fri Oct 03 2008 - 01:09:37 EEST

Great point Andrew!

The purpose the RM community is to provide a common area to share information and collaborate on ideas.

While it seems that some may think it has no value or content, it is important that we are willing to change so that we can exist in a web 2.0 world. The day of social systems and online communities is real and valuable. An important part of the communities is that they are owned by the users, so the value of the community is directly proportional to the participation of the users.

Some interesting information......

The Rapid Manufacturing community is still very young (less 6 months old) but has progressed very well. Some key aspects of the community include:

- Over 275 members ALREADY of which over 50% are International (very exciting demonstration of globalization)

- Aggregation of many useful blogs and discussions in a single location

- Convenient list of the current patents

- Cool pics and videos on the technologies

- Discussions about processes and technologies

- Discussion on the equipment manufacturers and their performance

- Sharing of research and interest

- Promotion of jobs and equipment

- Discussions on the state of the industry

- Very interesting polling information

- And tons of other 1-on-1 discussions sharing ideas and project

So, it may seem to some that the site has poor content, usefulness and information, it does appear to be more useful than sporadic, disjointed emails re-discussing the same topics the way we did in the 20th century.

Go to www.rapidmfg.org<http://www.rapidmfg.org> to participate in the present!

My sharing......

Ron