Re: [rp-ml] SLS coating - what's your preference?

From: <David.Oblak_at_Coulter.Com>
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 17:00:59 EEST

Hey Jay,

Have you tried RepliForm Inc. They've been nickel plating my SLAs for
years with excellent results. They plate parts at many different
thicknesses to give you what you need for your part which will also
minimize some costs.

Dave Oblak
Beckman/Coulter, Inc.
Principal Model Maker
Mechanical Design/RP

305.380.3764 desk
786.639.3764 fax
david.oblak@coulter.com

jay.jozwiak@valeo.com
Sent by: owner-rp-ml@rapid.lpt.fi
09/10/2008 09:35 AM

rp-ml@rapid.lpt.fi
cc

Subject
[rp-ml] SLS coating - what's your preference?

List,

For the last few years that I have been making SLS parts, the method used
by the company that I work for is to apply a two-part, high-temp epoxy for
SLS coating via paintbrush. I would prefer to go the way of an automotive
type, spray-on clear coat but have run into too many roadblocks (mainly
cost for installing the proper ventilation required). I would like to
hear your feedback on your preferred method of coating SLS parts. The
two-part epoxy just isn't cutting it anymore. With higher workload and
downsizing of the department workforce, it is just to labor intensive to
use the two-part epoxy. It takes way too long to dry and eventually
becomes difficult to apply once the two parts begin to cure. I just tried
coating a part with some fast drying polyeurathe that we had laying around
so I will see how that works.

FYI - the majority of the parts that I am coating are for automotive HVAC
assemblies, so they will be subject to temperatures between 40F - 170F and
will also be subject to humidity and condensation.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Regards,

Jay Jozwiak
Prototype Technician

Valeo Climate Control
Site: Auburn Hills North
4100 N Atlantic Blvd
Auburn Hills, MI 48326

This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient(s).
The information contained therein may be confidential or privileged, and
its disclosure or reproduction is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please return it immediately to its
sender at the above address and destroy it.

mailgatemia2.beckman.com made the following annotations
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Beckman Coulter, Inc. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.