RE: [rp-ml] Please respond off list!

From: Ian Gibson <mpegi_at_nus.edu.sg>
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 05:34:16 EEST

Dear All

Regarding which community, list (whatever) to
choose, I think it's all "each to his own". This
rp-ml has been around a looong time and I still
find it useful. When others have stood the test
of time, maybe I'll be more convinced, but I know
that something new isn't necessarily something
better. There must be something about rp-ml that keeps me here.

On the "respond off list" topic, I agree with
those that think it is up to the respondent, not
the poster to decide whether to reply off list.
If people want to ask their questions on an open
channel, then they should expect their answers
may be made public as well. If they want a
private conversation then they should ask privately.

However, you can't fault people for asking I suppose.

IG

At 01:14 AM 7/27/2008, Ricardo Amaral wrote:
>Removing the need to login to read the forum is
>a good way to drag people in, IMHO. Second time
>I go there and I wont bother to register before reading some of it.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ricardo
>
>Date:Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:18:59 -0400
>From: rhollis@quickparts.com
>To: 'RP list' <rp-ml@rapid.lpt.fi>
> > RPML,
> >

> > These types of questions (DISCUSSIONS) are ideal for the discussion
> > system within the Rapid Manufacturing Community (www.rapidmfg.org).
> >

> > The community is designed to make it easy to post topics by anyone
> > AND allow the member to CONTROL how they get content (email/no
> > email, etc.)…..
> >

> > Also, the discussions are held in a repository that will make it
> > reference information for the future…..this repeats redundant
> > discussions and allows for active discussions to grow.
> >

> > I realize there is a reluctance to “move our cheese” however,
> > Communities are the 21st century version of mail lists of the 90’s.
> >

> > Thanks!
> >
> > Ron
> >
> > _______________________________
> >
> > Ronald L. Hollis, Ph.D.
> > President and CEO
> >
> > rhollis@quickparts.com
> >

> > Quickparts
> >
> > 301 Perimeter Center North
> >
> > Suite 500
> >
> > Atlanta, GA 30346
> >

> > 770.901.3205
> >
> > 770.901.3237 fax
> >

> > www.quickparts.com
> >

> > An Inc. 500 Company
> >

> > “Our mission is to make it easy for our customers to
> >
> > buy custom-designed parts that meet their needs.”
> >

> > How am I doing? We would love to know the good and the bad.
> >
> > Send a confidential email to Customer Care at
> > howsmydriving@quickparts.com .

Associate Professor Ian Gibson
Department of Mechanical Engineering
National University of Singapore

Tel: +65 92777343

Don't look around to find the sound that's right beneath your feet