Re: [rp-ml] QuickParts online quoting (patent 7305367)

From: Markus Hitter <mah_at_jump-ing.de>
Date: Fri May 23 2008 - 11:55:07 EEST

Am 23.05.2008 um 07:14 schrieb Kevin Adams:
> The best way to beat these systems is to make sure your customers
> get a real quote from you. That way, they can take advantage of
> your accurate pricing when it is lower,and take advantage of the
> automated QP and Redeye when those systems provide inaccurate low
> pricing.

Well, if a more accurate method to quote a part actually exists,
you're right.

To my experience, it's not possible to precisely predict machine
runtime, though. Even when counting the single laser paths of an SLA
build file, you get a result within +-20% accuracy, only.

That said, the more automatic your quoting system is, the more time
you save and if you put all the saved time into the equitation, you
likely get a net win, even if some parts are cheaper.

Markus Hitter

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/